We have a fantastic opportunity to join our Defined Benefits (DB) Team in an Administrative Role offering Underwriting Support.
This role is crucial to ensuring that the DB Underwriting Team have collected and collated sufficient medical evidence for each scheme and that the medical information is recorded and assessed accurately, within the agreed SLAs.
The DB Underwriting team are responsible for the collation and recording of accurate medical underwriting information from selected members of DB pension schemes to support transactions of the DB de risking products (Buy-out and Buy-in). So the accuracy and completeness of the information required is vital to ensure that we understand what we insure and the associated longevity risk.
As an Underwriting Support worker you will be primarily responsible for supporting the DB Underwriting process. However you will also be responsible for answering member and client queries by phone, letter or email, representing the underwriting team for internal and external meetings and producing accurate MI and reports as required.
During quieter times within DB Underwriting, this role will also support the rest of the Operations team with other activities including monthly payroll payments, monitoring existence checking for DB Members, setting up newly transacted schemes and other administration activities as required.
Day to day as Underwriting Support
• Monitoring Outlook mailboxes as required and responding to or referring emails to the relevant people within the team as needed.
• Collecting medical data from health forms, telephone interviews, and GP Reports and accurately recording the data.
• Complete mail merges with minimal supervision, for groups of members - Ensuring the correct individuals are contacted for Underwriting and that no errors or GDPR breaches occur.
• Assessing cases within agreed authority (once applicable) and refer cases outside of own authority limits to the relevant Underwriters.
• Supporting with the overseeing of all underwritten schemes, producing and agreeing project plans to ensure we complete underwriting within the agreed timescales.
• Appropriately communicate any delays in underwriting to the relevant people at the earliest opportunity.
• Proactively discuss and agree priorities with the team daily to ensure delivery of SLAs.
• Answer queries from members and clients accurately and professionally by telephone, letter or email as required.
• Represent the DB Underwriting Team at internal and external meetings as required.
• Support the underwriting team with any other underwriting activities including work quality checking, auditing, producing MI and reporting and documenting processes and training material.
Skills we are looking for
• A thorough, methodical worker with great attention to detail.
• A good listener with excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate information to all levels (e.g. trustees, their administrators, members and policyholders) and across different media (e.g. in person, telephone, letter, email)
• Able to build rapport and be sensitive to difficult and confidential medical information
• Organised and methodical when asking questions so that all relevant questions are asked and the information captured appropriately
• Ability to work under pressure and on own initiative
• A fast and proactive learner who will ask questions and take responsibility for their own development
• Flexible approach with the ability to work as part of a team in a fast moving environment
• Experience of providing a high level of customer service to both internal and external customers
• Experience working with (or strong desire to develop ability to work with) Microsoft Office programs including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Visio
• Experience working in pensions, preferably including an understanding of DB Pensions would be beneficial, but not essential
Where we are
Our Head office is based in the market town of Reigate in Surrey. We are easily accessible with public transport, with direct train links from London and only 2 miles from the M25.